I offer personalized sketching workshops and lessons for people like you - people who want to learn to sketch, sketch on-location, or learn to keep an illustrated travel or nature journal.
"Sounds neat, but I don't think I'm an artist..."Absolutely anyone can produce a sketch which is visually stimulating, and personally satisfying. The basics of drawing are learned, not inherited. That's why I lead workshops and teach lessons to anyone that wants to try it out.
After all, everyone sees the world in a unique way, and we can learn a lot as visual artists by being exposed to others' styles. Still uncertain? Read 'What's the big idea?' to learn what motivates me to invite you to try sketching.
What do you get?
- I emphasize sketching on-location, often en plein air (outdoors). This means you'll spend your time somewhere in the city that you want to focus on. You might decide to sketch the Château Frontenac, the Plains of Abraham, or the Morrin Centre Library.
- Introductory sketching exercises that ensure even total beginners have a basic "tool kit." If you have some drawing experience, these exercises will help you warm up, and might help you see the city in a new way.
- Personalized instruction on basic techniques such as shading, making things look three dimensional, and tips for sketching quickly. We can also work on specific subjects such as birds or trees - that's up to you.
- Experience making an illustrated sketchbook entry that combines words and images. Think of a travel sketchbook or a naturalist's sketchbook, complete with coloured sketches and handwritten notes. By the time we're done, you will have at least one page in your sketchbook that combines words and images in a visually satisfying way.
How does it work?
Please read through the following, and then contact me so we can discuss how to best get you sketching!
- How many people? Do you want a group workshop (2+ people) or a private lesson?
- How long do you want to sketch? I offer 1, 2, or 3 hour sessions. If you only want to sketch with me once, I recommend a minimum of 2 hours, so we can get you off on the right track.
- Do you have your own materials? If not, you are welcome to purchase my basic kit (sketchbook, pen, pencil, eraser). If you don't have your own, I can loan you coloured pencils.
- Do you want to sketch indoors or outside?
- Do you have a specific location in mind?
- Is there something specific you want to learn about, or something in particular you want to draw? Ex: how to shade objects, how to make something look far away, or how to draw a tree.